Thursday, May 06, 2010

2, 4, 6, 8...

Wednesday was my first Teacher Appreciation Day as a real teacher.

The principal mentioned it on the announcements, and right after them one girl said "Hey teacher! I appreciate you!"

The PTA was nice enough to get us delicious pizza and salad from a local eatery, and the union put a 100 Grand candy bar in our mailboxes to show "how much we are worth."

They were nice gestures, if not grand. The best moment came from my kids, though.

Lately we have had a lot of behavior problems. I thought I'd give the students some ownership of a solution. I asked the students to each write out 3 people they wanted to sit next to and thought they could work next to. With little exception, they actually seemed to take it to heart and not just put their very best friends down.


One student, though, had an idea (completely on her own). She wanted to sit by me. And when she asked if she could put down my name, three other kids decided to put down my name, too.

I was pretty amazed. They get to choose only three people they want to sit by- and instead of choosing three friends, these kids chose to sit right by their teacher.


Yeah, I felt appreciated.  :)

No comments: