Saturday, January 23, 2010

Decade-nce?

Yes, I'm almost a month late. Get over it.

New Years'! Woo! New decade!

One of the blogs I read inspired me to make a post about how my life was different a decade ago. And, wow, what a difference.

Then: I was 12 and in eighth grade in middle school.
Now: I'm 22 and a graduate of college.

Then: I lived at home with Mom and my brothers. My dad had only died one and a half years before.
Now: I live in a new city where I've primarily lived for five years. One brother is eight hours away, and it's been over 11 years since my dad died. I now live with just my fiance.

Some other differences then:

I spent just about all of my time on AIM. Now I use Google Talk sometimes, but not all that often. I just don't chat much. I didn't even have Facebook, and now I'm sadly addicted. I didn't have a cell phone.

I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life, and now I am a teacher. I had never had a job other than babysitting, and now I have one of those real adult jobs, complete with benefits.

I was dating my very first boyfriend (for the first time). I hadn't even had my first kiss. Now, I've been with the same guy for over four years and we're engaged.

I was in dance and cheerleading. (Yes, cheerleading- my one and only year. And I really enjoyed it.) I was the only French horn in band (and got a solo in Centuria). I was in A Christmas Carol in drama club. Now? I... don't do any of that, unfortunately. But I do swing dance!

I went to Huntsville, AL that year to visit the U.S. Space and Rocket Center. Now I'm considering a trip with my fiance to see one of the last flights of the Space Shuttle.

The Blogger blog I had was solely to talk with my good friend, who had moved to Austria. I had a best friend that I spent tons of time with. I have good friends now, of course, but no one that I spend all of my time with. No house that I spend as much time in as my own.

I watched some TV, but not near as much as I do now with DVR and TV on DVD.

Gas was cheap, but I didn't know it or care because I didn't drive.

I felt smart. I still had some time to read for fun. When something upset me, I wrote. I did really well in school and my teachers loved me. Now some of those teachers are my Facebook friends, and I wish I had more time to read for fun.

Some things don't change, but a lot do. 10 years is a lot- almost half of my life- and it was kind of fun to look back at my 12-year-old self. :) I've grown up a lot, mostly for the better.

No comments: