Wednesday, October 06, 2010

That's not fair! She was doing it, too!

In the teacher's lounge today, we got to talking about speeding tickets. One of the teachers had gotten one that very morning, and was none too happy about it.

"I even asked him- what about all those other cars in front of me? I was just keeping up with traffic, so I know they were speeding too! How come he didn't pull them over?"

It cracked me up.
Kids tell me the exact same thing all day.

"But I wasn't the only one talking!"

"What about the other people that ran?"

"He hit me first! Why isn't he in trouble?"

And I always explain that I don't have eyes in the back of my head and sometimes I don't see when people misbehave. Not every person will get caught every time. But if you don't want to be caught doing the wrong thing, you can't be doing the wrong thing in the first place.

It's always seemed hard for kids to understand the cause-and-effect in that kind of situation, but it wasn't until today that I realized they aren't the only ones!

No comments: